PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
196 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
174 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
143 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
136 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
97 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
30 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
30 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
17 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

92%

92%

Donate Now

SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Recording Corner »

Permalink The Centurions Intoxica Recording Info

Page 1 of 1

Hey,
Second post here, I'm looking for any information anyone can provide on The Centurions recording of Intoxica. I've read here they recorded in the garage of one of the members but this particular track does not sound like a garage recording. I've also read elsewhere that they recorded at Gold Star Studios in Hollywood.
I'm interested in any information I can get. I read they used JMs,Jags,Strats,P Bass and Brownface amps, Ludwig Drums. I know they had Bari and Tenor Sax. What I'm more interested in is that throbbing wall of rhythm behind the lead guitar. There seems like there's more going on there than the aforementioned instruments.
I hear some percussion (tambourine?) and an almost metallic clanging. I can't discern whether it's an artifact from different frequencies combining or an actual instrument. Also any info on what kind of echo/reverb is being used on the recording as a whole, if any? Room sound?

I'd say there's definitely tambourine in there - in the left channel

Click here for Spira tunes

The Spiratones - Instro/Surf from the rain-soaked north-northwest of England

Welcome, Peanuts!

Really cool first wave tune. I have always felt like the lead has tremolo on it throughout (along with reverb). Not super deep/intense, but noticeable when you listen for it. I hear/feel it being there anyhow, and it feels/sounds right when we play it that way too, for whatever that’s worth.

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Fady wrote:

Welcome, Peanuts!

Really cool first wave tune. I have always felt like the lead has tremolo on it throughout (along with reverb). Not super deep/intense, but noticeable when you listen for it. I hear/feel it being there anyhow, and it feels/sounds right when we play it that way too, for whatever that’s worth.

Yeah, it's a really nice guitar sound. I've never been satisfied with the Vibrato/Tremolo channel on my Twin. It's actually a 70s model and I've stopped using it altogether in favour of an old New Zealand made Gunn 100. Not happy with the Trem on that either though. Will probably pick up a surfy trem at some point.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2024 16:31:41

peanutswilson wrote:

Fady wrote:

Welcome, Peanuts!

Yeah, it's a really nice guitar sound. I've never been satisfied with the Vibrato/Tremolo channel on my Twin. It's actually a 70s model and I've stopped using it altogether in favour of an old New Zealand made Gunn 100. Not happy with the Trem on that either though. Will probably pick up a surfy trem at some point.

Off topic a bit, you can replace the tremolo bug (opto-isolator I think) with a high quality aftermarket one. Really made a difference in my blackface amps.

Danny Snyder

"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

Playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Formerly a guitarist in The TomorrowMen and Meshugga Beach Party

Latest surf project - Now That's What I Call SURF

Page 1 of 1