PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
195 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
173 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
142 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
135 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
96 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
29 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
29 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
15 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

92%

92%

Donate Now

SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink Questions about specific riffs/phrasing?

Page 1 of 1

I am fairly new here so I apologize in advance if this question is not welcomed in some way.

For those of us that are new to surf guitar, would it be okay to post a question asking about specific riff/phrasing in context of a surf song? By this I mean, if I posted a link to a song and said, I really like the phrasing of this lick or set of notes at time stamp 2:22 in the following video, can someone identify what original song this came from? For some of us that are new to this, we may recognize a lick but not be sure where it originated. As such, it's hard to find a video on Youtube where it's explained.

Most of the primary/mainstream surf songs have Youtube tutorials. Some songs that are less well known often "borrow" a surf lick and I or someone else may not know where to look for the original. Does this make sense and is this frowned upon here?

Go for it. Hopefully you'll get a good answer. I can't imagine why anyone would frown upon it.

Danny Snyder

"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

Playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Formerly a guitarist in The TomorrowMen and Meshugga Beach Party

Latest surf project - Now That's What I Call SURF

I appreciate that!

So, this song is kind of quasi "surf" in nature, but I think the phrasing I am hearing is from other surf songs. In the following video, at 1:18 and again at 1:26 the phrasing is a little different on each, but that set of notes is very familiar to me. I am thinking it's probably a basic surf lick and I've heard it before. Any idea on what mainstream surf song(s) this might be from that I might can look up on Youtube for a tutorial?

Surfing in a Hurricane

First one reminds me a bit of the song Shaking All Over. Doesn't sound like a surf specific riff. Frankly,it just sounds generic to me. Perhaps you're over thinking this stuff a bit?

Danny Snyder

"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

Playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Formerly a guitarist in The TomorrowMen and Meshugga Beach Party

Latest surf project - Now That's What I Call SURF

I agree with Danny, pretty common sounding progression and lead, not specifically a rip/riff of some other well known song that I can think of.

That said, there is a section before your footnote (first appears ~:33 seconds in, lyric "I ain't afraid to die, I don't need to explain") that seems like a direct nod to House of the Rising Sun, which has been instro'd up/surfed up plenty. And while not "surf" as this audience would define it, there's a similar idea to your 1:18 mark in a phrase that Nokie plays at about 1:04 in this 1984 Ventures rendition of House of the Rising Sun. (I've linked just a few seconds prior below). Again, just sort of a common/generic style relevant pentatonic phrasing, but what he did as that passing lick/phrase is in the same spirit of your reference, to my ear and feel anyhow.

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Last edited: Sep 04, 2023 20:28:58

It’s all but impossible to come up with something totally unique; every phrase we play will probably have something similar out in the wild. I wrote a song in the mid ‘70s which was designed to be a Chet Atkins style instrumental. A few years later, I played it for my niece, and her friend, and they were very impressed, that I could play Stray Cat Strut. Actually the melody was completely different and even the chords were different, but, it did have a descending bass line that would have fit Stray Cat Strut
perfectly, for the first six bars.

Anyone that knew music would know that they were different songs, but the similarity of bass line was undeniable. I don’t care, because I’m not planning on publishing it, and if it ever came up, I could probably prove prior art, but I doubt that Setzer would care in the slightest, because the Andalusian Cadence of Stray Cat Strut precedes his writing by many, many years.

When I was still a child, I realized that much of the music I heard reduced to four patterns: the Twelve-Bar Blues, the I, VI, IV, V pattern of a blue Moon and countless ‘50s ballads, the innumerable Country songs with variations on I, IV, V changes, and the Andalusian Cadence. To this day, those make up a lot of music, and Surf is far from immune. When it comes to fills and other lead licks, almost nothing is unique. Rock n’ Roll is, a very limited number of idea snippets, used creatively.

Honky Tonk was an instrumental from the mid ‘50s, and some call it the Big Bang of Rock n’ Roll guitar. Master Honky Tonk, and you will be exposed to a lot of ideas used to this day.

Howard Roberts, a famed session guitarist and Jazz artist, not to mention founder of Guitar Institute of Technology, spent a couple of decades trying to improve how guitar was taught to serious students. One of his statements was that if you copy one person, that’s plagiarism, but if you copy everyone, that’s research. I think he’s spot on.

Some years ago, I heard a lick in a Pop/Rock solo that was really unique. One day I decided to use that lick deserved to be remembered and in fact, I use it a lot. No one would confuse my use of it with the original recording, but there is one measure that I’ve never heard elsewhere, and I love to use that lick on occasion. Even if I were to use it at a gig, the seat tax of the venue covers my use of prior art, so I’m legal for live performances. In recordings, it is permissible to play short quotes from other solos, and this is common in Jazz. Actually, it’s considered an homage to the original artist to include such a quote in a Jazz recording.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Page 1 of 1