PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
193 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
171 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
140 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
133 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
94 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
28 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
28 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
14 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

72%

72%

Donate Now

SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink The Madeira 20th anniversary!

Page 1 of 1

20 years ago The Madeira played for the first time. I remember that first practice very well, and it was immediately obvious that the chemistry between us was not only there, but off the charts. I am intensely proud of everything we've accomplished in these 20 years, I think we've created a pretty nice legacy! To celebrate our anniversary, I was able to dig out my post on the old SurfGuitar101 Yahoo group introducing the band to the (surf music) world. Enjoy, and help us celebrate!
https://surfguitar101.com/ygroup/post/5882/

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Oh, that’s a legacy to be proud of! Unfortunately that’s one of your bands I have never seen live (but was lucky to see the other two!)
I still listen to this stuff often and consider Ancient Winds to be one of the best surf albums ever made and other albums not really less cool and enjoyable.
Congratulations to all of you!

Waikiki Makaki surf-rock band from Ukraine

New Single is out!

https://waikikimakaki.bandcamp.com/album/rhino-blues-full-contact-surf-single

Waikiki Makaki

https://linktr.ee/waikikimakaki

Lost Diver

https://lostdiver.bandcamp.com
https://soundcloud.com/vitaly-yakushin

Amazing legacy. My favorite band of all time, of any genre.
Superb control and deep understanding of the 1st wave, topped with unbound creativity and melodic sense, contrast in all dimensions, while retaining insane energy and vision. Each studio album (perfectly produced) has it's own theme - that's fun, every tune tells a story, who needs lyrics!
I hope to hear more from Patrick, and that you'll collaborate in the future. After all, he wrote "Ancient Winds", the best song ever written. Dane too, what a beast! I'm not simply fawning, you really move me deeply. Your latest project is of course a display of excellence as well, but this post is about the past, and it's glorious. Your love and dedication to Surf music shines, and is always inspiring. Thank you.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2024 13:19:10

Ariel, you said it all.

Wow Ivan! I was just a kid of 53 when The Madeira began. Sure doesn't seem like it's been two decades. Adjusting to The Madeira took a bit of time for me (you know the story) but definitely became one of my favorites. Right there with my treasured Space Cossacks.

Congratulations on a career of making and performing great music for surf fans. Here's hoping you continue for many decades.

Woody D
S3 #148
Henrico Va

Congrats Ivan! 20 years doing anything is an accomplishment but playing in the same band, pushing surf in new directions and constantly being creative should be celebrated Cheers

Paul

The Dead Planet Surfers

As things come and go in life, 20 years is quite a number no matter what the subject. I lasted 20 years as a drag racer but that was just me, not a group of people trying to go the same direction. Ivan, you have many accomplishments to be proud of. I don't think you're done , yet. Smile

Congrats to you and your musicians, Ivan!

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004, 2024-)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

It's incredible to me it's been 20 years. What a great ride it has been! Thanks for all the amazing music!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

20 Years! Congratulations on the run and all the great music. I count myself lucky to see the band once (Surfer Joe in Calafuria)

Rev

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

Beautiful music. Congratulations on 20 years!

Shoot the Pier on Bandcamp
Shoot the Pier on Reverb Nation
Shoot The Pier on Facebook
We are on Instagram under "@shootthepiersurfband"

My Country EP ... Florida Dirt Fire
https://floridadirtfire.bandcamp.com/album/florida-dirt-fire

My French Love Songs ... I really needed a change...
www.lonelyrose.bandcamp.com

Honored to have had them play at SG101 a few times!

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Wow, I'm absolutely blown away by all the amazingly kind and generous comments here!! (Please forgive my lateness responding, it's the end of the semester and things have been getting a bit overwhelming.)

Thank you ALL so very deeply for all the congratulations as well as the comments. Woody, I'm 54 now, so I've caught up to you! Big Grin I'm so glad you did eventually start to "get" the Madeira, too! And your "you know the story" comment is quite apropos, since my memory for the fist year or two of the Madeira is that most people either had no interest in whatever I did that wasn't with the Cossacks or seemed pretty dismissive of the idea that it could ever measure up. Well, I personally think that it most certainly DID measure up - and even exceeded it on some occasions! (Funny enough, I do sense a bit of the same thing with Lords of Atlantis now - not a lot, just a bit, but people can't help but compare the two bands, just as they did with the Madeira and the Cossacks. And for me it's about doing something NEW with each band, something I didn't get to do before, just "ride the chemistry", so to speak, in each band and see what happens. But in each case I'm always super proud of what we had done - or I wouldn't let it come out!)

BIG thanks to Vitaly (Samurai) for all your extremely nice words, too, in particular that you consider Ancient Winds one of the best surf albums ever! Wow! That truly means a lot to me, since there are few people out there that love and know surf music as well as you do, Vitaly! THANK YOU!

I must give my greatest thanks to Ariel for all his remarkable comments, though. Your favorite band of all time of any genre??? Shock Holy cow, Ariel. I had no idea, but am deeply, deeply flattered and humbled. Thank you so so very much! And your full description of the band and our albums is dead on, of course, you truly get us. Finally, I will agree with you on Ancient Winds that it's our best single track, Patrick delivered an insanely beautiful piece of music with that one! I do think it's likely to be the one by us that's remembered the longest - I hope so, anyway.

Again, thank you all immensely, I'm truly touched. (Oh, and BIG thanks to Jeff for hosting us at the SG101 conventions three times, I think - 2008, the very first one - kinda, I guess, since we played the same venue that evening, but I think the convention was officially finished by then); 2012, and then 2017, which gave birth to our "Center of the Surf" live CD, of which I'm insanely proud!)

Here's a fun and rare photo of us, I think this is from '05!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

I almost forgot!

Brian wrote:

It's incredible to me it's been 20 years. What a great ride it has been! Thanks for all the amazing music!

Thank you so very much for your unceasing cheerleading and support of the Madeira, Brian! Having you in our corner has meant a great deal to us over the past 20 years! And I'm so very grateful that you came all the way from Iowa to Indy to be there for our first show - and even shoot videos of it! It's very special to have those.

Thank you for everything, Brian, you've been absolutely awesome! Cheers Kiss

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

I can't believe it's been 20 years. Honestly, Ivan is one of the best guitar players this forum has ever seen. In all the videos I have ever watched of his, the man seems to never mess up or hit a wrong note. Congrats on 20 years, I really hope to see you play live one day.

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

Ivan yes I was thinking about the first one. Technically not, but in reality it was. So cool to have the Lords booked for this year.

All we need now is the Los Relampagos tribute band. —

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Page 1 of 1