PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
194 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
173 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
141 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
135 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
96 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
29 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
29 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
15 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

92%

92%

Donate Now

SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink A New Tarantino Inspired Surf Rock Single!

Page 1 of 1

Hello guys!
I just dropped a new jaw-dropping track!
At the age of 13, I came across a CD with Quentin Tarantino movie OST.
The sound of 60s music recorded on crackling tape completely distorted my taste, and I have spent the last few years studying old audio recording techniques and collecting vintage equipment.
You can consider this as my graduation project.
Headbang to the beat on streaming platforms: https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/zvukidedov/volna

What do you think about this song?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2023 07:10:53

I like it. What did you use for the drums?

https://hyperfollow.com/weepingfigs

cricketseed wrote:

I like it. What did you use for the drums?

Thank you so much,cricketseed! It took me a lot of effort to make record the song and to shoot a video.

A real drummer is playing here, I deliberately asked him to record the drum kit vintage style with only one mic and maximum room tone.

Mate, I just heard your tracks on Spotify, you're delivering some solid material too!

Great job!

I think your song is very competently created but I also think it could be improved in a couple ways.

The main issue for me is that it's a little repetitive. That main 3 chord progression starts to drag. Without changing the lead guitar at all, I think you could really punch up the impact of the melody by changing the chord progression in parts so that it supports the melody in a more dramatic fashion. For instance, at the section starting at 0:18, I think these chords sound awesome: Fmaj7 - Cmaj - Em7 - Am - Fmaj7 - Cmaj - Fdom - Edom - Am

The other thing is that the flat fifth is a bit much to my ear. I like a good flatted fifth but I think its effect in your song would be increased by actually using it less in that main opening riff. Also, I think jumping to a chord that supports that note is a good idea. Cm sounds pretty cool.

It's tough to convey all this stuff in words rather than simply playing it but the basic idea is to experiment with your chords under the melody and mix it up to keep it interesting.

Redfeather wrote:

I think your song is very competently created but I also think it could be improved in a couple ways.

The main issue for me is that it's a little repetitive. That main 3 chord progression starts to drag. Without changing the lead guitar at all, I think you could really punch up the impact of the melody by changing the chord progression in parts so that it supports the melody in a more dramatic fashion. For instance, at the section starting at 0:18, I think these chords sound awesome: Fmaj7 - Cmaj - Em7 - Am - Fmaj7 - Cmaj - Fdom - Edom - Am

The other thing is that the flat fifth is a bit much to my ear. I like a good flatted fifth but I think its effect in your song would be increased by actually using it less in that main opening riff. Also, I think jumping to a chord that supports that note is a good idea. Cm sounds pretty cool.

It's tough to convey all this stuff in words rather than simply playing it but the basic idea is to experiment with your chords under the melody and mix it up to keep it interesting.

Your critique is very much to the point!

I agree that the arrangement could benefit from a bit more variety. I tried to fix it by finding an outsource trumpet player to play some of the parts, but it didn't fit the song and the mix for some reason. In the end, I decided to remember the lessons and apply them to the next song instead of endlessly polish this one.

Thank you for for an amazing feedback.

ZvukiDedov wrote:

Mate, I just heard your tracks on Spotify, you're delivering some solid material too!

Great job!

Thanks. Still trying to learn, as I guess we all are...

https://hyperfollow.com/weepingfigs

Sounds great. Do you know what mic was used to capture the drums, and where it was positioned?

Click here for Spira tunes

The Spiratones - Instro/Surf from the rain-soaked north-northwest of England

ZvukiDedov, that sounds freaking awesome man. Seriously, the vintage vibe on the recording is top notch. I respectfully disagree with Redfeather, I wouldn't change a damn thing if I were you. Very well done!

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2023 13:50:46

@ZvukiDedov congrats! The song is quite descent, and I am really impressed by the vintage sound. I am kind of jealous to be honest! Do you want to share with us more details about your recording setup?

ZvukiDedov wrote:

Hello guys!
I just dropped a new jaw-dropping track!
At the age of 13, I came across a CD with Quentin Tarantino movie OST.
The sound of 60s music recorded on crackling tape completely distorted my taste, and I have spent the last few years studying old audio recording techniques and collecting vintage equipment.
You can consider this as my graduation project.
Headbang to the beat on streaming platforms: https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/zvukidedov/volna

What do you think about this song?**

I think it sounds very Tarantino.

yes, the tune is repetitive, but so is Tarantino. I think it would fit right into one of his movies.
Joel

Guys, thank you for your awesome response.

Regarding the recording technique, the main key is I think to have a mic pretty distant from the amplifier to allow some room tone into the signal.

I used Oktava mk12 condenser into Focusrite Scarlett (Air ON) into Tascam 238S Tape Recorder. My Amp is Blues Junior, Reverb is Surfy Bear.

I worked with an outsource drummer, who sent me the .wav-file via email.
He was instructed to use only one mic and capture as much room sound as possible.

Bass Guitar is connected directly to the Mixer Input.

Last edited: Oct 02, 2023 05:16:33

Page 1 of 1