PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
184 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
163 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
131 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
125 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
85 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
19 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
19 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

25%

25%

Donate Now

SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Reverb Tank Modification

Page 1 of 1

Hello everyone,

I have so far only managed to do the silvermica cap mod on my tank. Now I want to change the stock 6V6 tube. I have read that the preferred replacement is a 6K6 tube. Are there any other tubes that would work just as well in this regard?

Are there any other modifcations (except the cap&tube mod) that could improve the sound of the unit?

Grateful for any advice and tips that you could give me...!

starcrunch
Hello everyone,

I have so far only managed to do the silvermica cap mod on my tank. Now I want to change the stock 6V6 tube. I have read that the preferred replacement is a 6K6 tube. Are there any other tubes that would work just as well in this regard?

no I don't think so. the 6K6 are all over ebay for little. I scored two NOS RCA's for $10. I saw somebody's advertizing NOS sylvanias right now on ebay. the RCA's are okay too.

Are there any other modifcations (except the cap&tube mod) that could improve the sound of the unit?

depends on what you have. the critical components are tubes and tank. depending on what's allready in there, the sound might improve from swapping the 12AX7 and 12AT7, and the reverb tray itself.

as for tubes, I don't know what Fender puts in cause neither of my tanks are Fender. I have GE's 12AX7 (sound okay, not spectecular) and sovtek 12AT7 (only cause I had them). Ive heard people go crazy about jj's for pre-amp tubes, they're not that expensive, and I planned on getting them, alas, I'm lame. Sad

as for trays. check this thread

if you have a very recent tray, try to score an older yet not vintage one. (or prepare to spend muchos dineros) ... best would be to try out a known to sound good tray from a fender tube amp from you or your firends, and check the difference first - it's a plug and play swap.

good luck.
WR

Rules to live by #314:
"When in Italy, if the menu says something's grilled, don't assume it is."

https://www.facebook.com/The-Malbehavers-286429584796173/

I agree with WR: you can find a decent 6K6 on ebay for little $...and the 12AT7-swap seems to sweeten things up in the tone department...the tube mods are quite subtle...the tubes seem to modify (mellow) the tone somewhat, eliminating the "piercing ultra-treble" found at higher volume levels....

On my RI Fender tank, I installed a GE 6K6 and a Mullard 12AT7...that's it.

I haven't messed around with the capacitor-swap nor the chamber-swap...

6k6 will be a nice smoother sound for your high end.

Page 1 of 1