Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
332 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
259 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
259 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
179 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
157 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
126 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
119 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
80 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
14 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
14 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Show Announcements »

Permalink Info 4 Guitar Geek Fest,Slacktone,Ghastly Ones,Venturesmania

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 Next

http://www.guitargeekfestival.com/

THE BEST GUITAR FESTIVAL IN THE WORLD!

Deke Dickerson's 6th annual GUITAR GEEK FESTIVAL!

Saturday, January 17, 2009

At the Anaheim Plaza Hotel
(upstairs ballroom)
1700 S. Harbor Blvd., Anaheim, California

(one block from the old Jolly Roger and the Convention Center / NAMM show. The hotel still has rooms left for this weekend but they are going fast! Call them immediately at 714-772-5900 to book your room today!)

featuring your host and emcee, Deke Dickerson, and STARRING:

BUDDY HOLLY'S ORIGINAL CRICKETS!
Honoring the 50th anniversary of Buddy Holly's plane crash 1959-2009! With original members Sonny Curtis on guitar, Joe B. Mauldin on bass, and Jerry Allison on drums. Sonny Curtis of course played on all the classic early 1955-56 Buddy Holly recordings, including "Blue Days, Black Nights," "Love Me," and the early version of "That'll Be the Day." Sonny Curtis is also the man who wrote the hit song "I Fought the Law!" The rhythm section of Joe B. Mauldin and Jerry Allison was famous as Buddy Holly's Crickets, but also backed up Eddie Cochran and the Everly Brothers! This is as close to royalty as we have in this country: THE ORIGINAL CRICKETS! Plus many special surprise GUESTS we can not announce here . . .

DEKE DICKERSON: LOST ART OF "GILLIGAN GUITAR!"
A special set by Deke presenting one of his favorite "lost" guitar styles, the go-go-instrumental style best described as "the music that would come out of the radio on Gilligan's Island." Something different and once-in-a-lifetime from your host with the most: Deke Dickerson!

THE ALL-MOSRITE BAND featuring BRIAN LONBECK, VENTURESMANIA, and others!
A special tribute to Semie Moseley and the wild and wonderful "Mosrite" guitars he created. Last year's "All-Bigsby Band" was such a hit, we decided to take the idea a step further and have an "All-Mosrite band" with a stage full of vintage Mosrite guitars played by the masters of twang and surf. Bakersfield Barn Burner Brian Lonbeck is back to lead the pack, with Ventures tribute band Venturesmania and many other surprise guests!

THE GHASTLY ONES: ALL "ELIKI" SET!
SoCal surf favorites pay tribute to the Japanese "group sound" guitar instrumental music of the 1960s, played on original rare Japanese guitars and basses! Our guitar museum will also feature a special Japanese "Eliki" display courtesy of the Ghastly Ones Garrett Immel!

JENNIFER BATTEN: GUITAR PLAYER COVER STAR!
This guitar heroine with insane skill toured with Michael Jackson and Jeff Beck, among many others. This is the first Geekfest to feature a Guitar Player magazine cover star, and we are pleased to have her!

"GUITAR ZACK" WIESENBERGER!
This is the first act we've signed for the Geekfest solely based on YouTube videos! This guy struck us as the greatest thing we've seen since Crazy Joe. He's funny and he plays his ass off. . . . You've got to trust us, this cat is incredible!

RICKENBACKER BAKELITE BAND!
Another set for vintage gear Geeks! We've assembled an all-star cast of hot jazz , western swing, and blues players to perform an entire set on Rickenbacker bakelite instruments from the 1930s and 1940s: the world's first solid-body electric guitar! We have D. B. Berzansky and Pat Quilter on bakelite lap steels, T. K. Smith and Deke on bakelite Spanish electric guitars, Trent Ruane and John Reynolds on bakelite Tenor electric guitars, Wally Hersom on his 1930s Rickenbacker aluminum electric bass, and 84-year-old ukelele legend Travis Harrelson on his electric Rickenbacker uke. Many more special guests! This will be a once-in-a-lifetime event, never before attempted!

SLACKTONE!
An early set from Southern California surf favorites . . . by popular demand! Featuring much-respected surf guitarist Dave Wronski, bassist Sam Bolle from Dick Dale's band, and powerhouse drummer Dusty Watson from Agent Orange, Dick Dale, and the Supersuckers!

DEL CASHER: FROM GENE AUTRY TO FRANK ZAPPA!
Featuring our favorite resident guitar genius and show-biz casualty with stories about Elvis, Lawrence Welk, Gene Autry, and Frank Zappa! This time Del and Deke will replicate sections of the Ecco-Fonic Demonstration Record and the Vox Wah-Wah pedal radio commercial . . . Not to mention guitar jokes banned in the Catskills long ago!

BREAKOUT TALENT SHOWCASE!
Featuring two great acts, plus surprises: Joao Erbetta from Brazil, "Guitar Bizarre," and Jay Hartke from El Paso, "Pradabilly!" Opening the show with a bang!

DEKE'S AMAZING GUITAR MUSEUM!
This year the museum will be twice as big as last year with a special Mosrite exhibit, a special Japanese "Eliki" guitar exhibit, and more new crazy guitars and amps to feast your eyes on than ever before!

This show is all ages! Full bar available! Booths from Hallmark, TNM Custom, and more. DJ Dan Moses! Guitar raffle courtesy Fender/Gretsch guitars! This is an EARLY SHOW: Doors at 3 p.m., show at 4 p.m. sharp! Tickets are $35 advance / $40 day of show / $35 with NAMM pass.

Buy your tickets NOW! This show will sell out!

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Plus!!! I'll be there in my KRLA windbreaker signing autographs for the kids!

This is going to be a great show!

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

who are you?
Rolling Eyes Wink

can't wait to see ya again, Chris.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

The liner notes in Del-Fi's "Hellbound Hot Rods!" comp, written by Deke, proclaim Tommy Tedesco as the king of the Gilligan guitar. I really love that style and sound. I guess it's mostly associated with the studio/session bands of the era, but I once asked Deke many years ago via e-mail for other recommendations in this style and he replied (months later after he'd returned from touring) with Glen Campbell's "Big Bad Rock Guitar" and Squiddly Diddly. The latter had me looking through all the kids l.p. stashes at used record shops with no luck, but recently saw Phil's review of a cd reissue. The former I eventually found at a used record shop in Sacto and after previewing, passed on the purchase due to orchestral string and vocal overdubs.

This looks like its going to be a fun event. Really wish I could be there. All-Mosrite band sounds like a hoot. The Ghastly's have their work cut out for them too.

Twisted Evil > Angel

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I'll be chopping wood and shoveling snow. Evil

bummer IM sorry,

ah no im not.

ha ha

Jeff(bigtikidude)

CAN'T WAIT!

bump, reminder for mid January.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Not only is Slacktone playing at the Geek Fest,
they are playing the night before and the Fender fundraiser on Fri. nite.
at Lofflers 3 miles west of Convention Center.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I'll be at the geek fest.

THe NEpTuNeS

cool deal Tom,
hey Bring yer new cds,
I will buy one from ya.
and IM sure others will too.

look for a e-mail from me.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

E-mail form Deke said;

If you're thinking about getting tickets for the upcoming GUITAR GEEK FESTIVAL on January 17th, buy your tickets now at www.guitargeekfestival.com, they're going fast!!!

For more information on the festival, the artists, and other pertinent details, consult www.guitargeekfestival.com or www.dekedickerson.com

All the best in 2009!

Deke & the Guitar Geek Festival crew

Jeff(bigtikidude)

for anybody wanting to do something a little different on Sun. check out this.

http://events.dailybreeze.com/redondo-beach-ca/events/show/85278794-southern-california-slack-key-festival-an-allstar-hawaiian-music-dance-concert-event

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Also happening that weekend is the California World Guitar Show 2009 at the Orange County Fairgrounds in Costa Mesa. I've been to one of these before, it's basically a vintage guitar swap meet that will make your head spin. Drool
http://txshows.com/

Dean(aka Moondevil)
deanmatherly.com

moondevil
Also happening that weekend is the California World Guitar Show 2009 at the Orange County Fairgrounds in Costa Mesa. I've been to one of these before, it's basically a vintage guitar swap meet that will make your head spin. Drool
http://txshows.com/

I went last year & was stunned by the high prices as well as the number of guitars that were being represented as "vintage" that were absolute fakes. Several were listed for prices in the $50k range. The only 2 deals are saw were a new Fender Twin Reverb reissue amp for $800 & the Budweiser beer light I bought for $20. Maybe this year in this economy people will be more willing to deal.

I went to this show last year too - I was dissapointed. It wasn't a swap, it was a "look at my cool $h!t" meet. Most of the vendors stood around and acted "holier than thou"

HBKahuna's beer sign was the buy of the day. His wife loves it.

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

bump, get yer tix soon, will sell out.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Just bought my ticket!

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

This is gonna be a kickass weekend: Geekfest and Disneyland! Whooooooo! Guitar

Dean(aka Moondevil)
deanmatherly.com

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 Next