Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
329 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
257 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
257 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
177 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
155 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
123 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
117 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
78 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
11 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
11 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Show Announcements »

Permalink stuff to do places to eat, while here in Ca.4 sg101 event

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

hey Gang,
of course I dont want to hog all your time,
but there are a few things I'd like to recommend
to do
and or good places to eat
for out of towners.

of course, you must go in the Ocean,
weather it be in San Diego, Hermosa Beach or Huntington Beach.
your here, dip a toe in the big blue,
that is the inspiration for this music that we love.

Music----------------------------------------------
on the way down to San Diego,
I must recommend that you stop at Lou's records in Encinitas.
They are on PCH between Encinitas and Leucadia blvds.
and they are great music store, and have about 60 or so Surf cds.
if you can't find it, just ask them.

If by chance you get up to Hollywood,
you must see Amoeba records.
the place is as big as a football field. and has a upstairs too
there is a surf section back in the oldies, but its mostly old surf.
if you want new surf you gotta look thru rock A to Z. damn it.
and they have zillions of LP's and 45s too.

Food------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a really good 50's style diner in San Clemente just off the 5 freeway, you can see the sign from the freeway, its called Tommy's

In Encinitas where Lou's records is. there are tons of great places.
but I highly recommend Juanita's mexican food, its on the coner of PCH and the 2nd small street that crosses PCH south of Lou's records.

IN SD area, you MUST go to HO Dads burgers in Ocean Beach,
Main drag that heads down to the Beach.
they have a burger and fries/rings combo that will stop your heart just looking at it. and the decor is very Beachy. and there is a half of a VW bus inside the place. oh and 1 time I was there they played the whole
Number of the Beast cd by Iron Maiden, so that right there tells ya they rule. oh and they have real ice cream and Malt shakes if your heart still is pumping.

For Breakfast in SD area, Sat morn. I recommend The Broken Yolk on Garnet in Pacific Beach.

For Breakfast Sun. Morn there is the Rocky Cola Cafe in Hermosa Beach on PCH. at Aviation.
or
Jam down to Huntington Beach, and go to El Ranchito on Main St.
right side past the post office at the 2nd stop sign. Thats where I will prob be.

and I was thinking that we all could do one last gathering at either the long Board pub. on Main st. after the pier show, or GO a few miles up PCH to Kona and hang out in the tiki bar.

they play cool exotica in there till 8 pm.

If yer into tiki places, SD area.
you must see Bali HI on Shelter Island,

and the Hanalei Hotel (Crown Plaza) off of the 8 freeway and Hotel Circle,

make sure you walk thru the bar area see waterfall wall,see the giant Moai (Easter Island head) by the pool, and then go behind the big hotel building next to the pool and see the tiki hut and koi fish ponds and hiding tikis in the bushes.

for LA/OC area,
if you get to OC and or LA area, and are not going to SD fri nite.
and you crave some intoxicating drinks, Tiki TI in Echo park/east Hollywood area where sunset and Hollywood Blvd meet. few miles east of the 101 freeway.

Or Kona in Sunset Beach on PCH. its North of Huntington, but South of Seal Beach., just look for the big Swordfish sign above the place. the decor is
really amazing old school tiki bar and Restaurant. Look for the water tower apt. and Taco surf mexican place, and its across the street from that.
Taco surf is a chain of good mexican food joints in oC, and that one in Sunset is the best of them. and the y have tikis out front too.
go figure........

cool stuff to see.

and if you want to see Dick Dales old Mansion, the Gillete Mansion, and the Wedge are at the end of the Newport Peninsula.
take PCH south from Huntington, go into Newport Beach, turn right on Newport Blvd. take that into downtown Balboa . then keep going another 1 or 2 miles to the end of the Peninsula. and there is the Mansion, and the sand to the right is the Beach where the wedge is, go out passed the trees to see it, Doubtful it will be big though, usually it doesnt get big until winter or if there is a Hurricane out between mexico and Hawaii.

of course if you are coming with Family there is always Disneyland, Knotts berry farm, Universal Studios etc. and Six Flags Magic Mountain, for amusement parks.

for hangin out at the HB pier on Sun. I recommend bringing sun screen.
SPF 50 or higher, a hat and or umbrella.
there is a big section of lawn you can lay out on, or put lawn chairs on,
or there is big cement steps about 2 feet high that hundreds of people sit on. but that starts to hurt the butt after awhile.

There is a little snack shack right on the board walk that sells snaks, burgers, sandwhiches, sodas waters etc... But you can pack a lunch and bring that down too.
Alcohol, is not permitted on the beach, but its been known to see people discreetly having some booze in gatorade or soda bottles.
ha ha.

there is prob a thousand other places/things I could tell you about.
but thats just stuff I do on my route to and around surf shows in those areas.

if you have any questions,
feel free to ask.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Great post Jeff I'll be taking note of it when I visit LA in September.

Marty

When in Southern California...(if one eats beef)...one should experience...

a Double-Double w/fries (and a shake)

at...

a Southern California Legend!

• Surfbeatnik

I concur fully that In N Out is awesome.

As a Surf City native, a few of my suggestions in Huntington Beach.

Breakfast in Downtown HB:

Sugar Shack
213 Main St
Huntington Beach, CA 92648
(714) 536-0355
Very casual & inexpensive
Get there really rally early on weekends.

No Ka Oi
215 Main Street
Huntington Beach
http://www.stockteam.com/nokaoi.html

My Personal fav:
Charlie's Chili Restaurant
102 Mcfadden Pl
Newport Beach, CA 92663-4320
Phone: (949) 675-7991
At the base of the Newport Beach Pier

Are you coming from Hermosa Suzys? Exit 405 Freeway at Seal Beach Blvd, go left, south to the Coast Hwy, turn left, east, on the Coast Hwy toward Huntington Beach, some great Breakfast spots not to be missed:

The Harbor House Café in Sunset is located between Seal Beach and Huntington Beach.
16341 Pacific Coast Highway
Sunset Beach

If it's packed, try Woodys Diner next door.

or

Westbay Cafe
16600 Pacific Coast Hwy
Huntington Beach, CA 92649
Phone: (562) 592-9469

Starting at the HB Pier & going inland on Main Street they now have a restaurants row with everything from a Subway to Silveras, a 5 star steak house..

Parking for the HB Pier show. ARRIVE EARLY! There is a lot of paid public but it does fill up. There is a lot on both Sides of the HB Pier. It will cost you about $10 for the day. There is another city parking structure 1 block north of the Pier at Walnut & Main behind BJ's Pizza. If it looks full, go up to the top level, there is always parking there. Take elevator down to main Street, 3 minute walk to Pier.

You can also try to find a place in the residential areas to park for free & hoof it. Good luck.

Arrive early, bring plenty of sun screen because you WILL get FRIED here. There is also a great snack bar "Zacks" next to the HB Pier about 100' from the stage that has very decent beach food. They will be torturing you all afternoon with the outdoor BBQ. You can get a table & watch the show while having lunch.

I've updated the Google Map with some of the places Jeff mentioned. Thanks Jeff!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Thanks for the tips Tim!

surfbeatnik
When in Southern California...(if one eats beef)...one should experience...

a Double-Double w/fries (and a shake)

at...

a Southern California Legend!

Hey, that's a 3 x 3!

I always park way inland and walk down to the Museum shows,
but for a Pier show, I recommend getting there early 9 am or so,
and then walk up main st. to eat somewhere.

there is also Duke's on the left side of the pier.
aka Duke Kamanaoku (the father of surfing)
they do an insane all you can eat Brunch, but its prob 25 bucks or more.
but worth every penny.
you wont eat again all day.

I hope some of you decide to follow some us up to Kona, in Sunset Beach after the pier show, to unwind in an amazing tiki bar.

oh they do have beer there too.
Wink

Jeff(bigtikidude)

What Duff said about In-N-Out. Ain't nothing wrong with a 3x3, either.

-Warren

That was excessively violent and completely unnecessary. I loved it.

Order something off this "secret menu" to impress your friends...and your palate:

In-N-Out has a limited menu consisting of only three different sandwiches: the hamburger, cheeseburger, and "Double-Double" (double meat/double cheese). French fries and fountain drinks are available, as well as three flavors of milkshakes. The hamburgers come with lettuce, tomato, with or without onions (the customer is asked upon ordering, and may have them fresh or grilled), and a sauce, which is called "spread."

There are, however, additional named items that are not on the menu, but are available at every In-N-Out. These variations reside on the chain's "secret menu," which is not really a secret, and is accessible on the company's web site.

The items on the "secret menu" include:

* Animal Style (Burger or Fries): The fries are topped with 2 slices of melted cheese, spread, and grilled onions. The burgers are cooked using mustard, and are then topped with pickles, extra spread, and grilled onions.  
* Grilled Cheese: Everything that the cheeseburger includes, minus the meat patty. Can be ordered with or without onions as well as "animal style" or "protein style".  
* Protein Style: Any burger that is offered on the menu will be wrapped in lettuce rather than using a bun.

A "20x20" (twenty meat patties and twenty slices of cheese)
A "20x20" (twenty meat patties and twenty slices of cheese)

* M x C (3x3, 4x4): "M" meaning number of meat patties and "C" meaning number of cheese slices. Therefore, the 3x3 is three meat patties and three slices of cheese. The 4x4 is four meat patties and four slices of cheese. There is a recorded serving of a 100 x 100. This giant burger was eaten by a team of eight people and cost $97.66. However, a relatively new corporate policy dictates the maximum size an In-N-Out location is to prepare is 4x4. The stated reason for this new restriction is simply that burgers larger than 4 patties and 4 slices of cheese are not "visually appealing."  
* Double Meat: Simply the Double Double without cheese.  
* Veggie Burger: A burger without meat or cheese- only vegetables are used.  
* The Flying Dutchman: Two meat patties and two slices of cheese. No bun, vegetables, or spread are included.  
* Well Done Fries: Fries are cooked longer than others, resulting in a crispy fry.  
* Light Fries: Fries are not cooked as long, resulting in a softer fry.  
* Neapolitan Milkshake: Combination of chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry shakes.

Ah...............the "Double Double" (or death by burger). I can't wait to get my mitts around one of those! Thanks guys for the reccomendations. This is going to be on great weekend!

ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

I thought you Californians are all health nuts? You ban trans fat but the 3x3 or 4x4 is still legal? Shocked

Thanks for the tip on the secret menu Steve. Now I know what I can get if I find myself at an In-n-Out. Smile

Brian
I thought you Californians are all health nuts? You ban trans fat but the 3x3 or 4x4 is still legal? Shocked

shhhhhhhhhhhhh! Don't give 'em any ideas! Enjoy it while it's legal. I still will never forgive McDonalds for getting rid of their deep fried apple pies which were cooked in the same oil/fat as the french fries.

(Homer Simpson voice) Mmmmm...deep fried apple pies...gulll-aaaaahhh!

Drool

Brian
I thought you Californians are all health nuts?

I was thinking maybe if I ate just one on the last day near the end, to sort of give me a running start toward a cardiologist. Some of the pictures do look good, though. Particularly that Revenge of California burger with three (!) patties and the fries of death. But "American" cheese - yuck, no. For me it has to be "Swiss."

I've always put quotes around American cheeses ever since some particularly scathing remarks once from a German. "Ze richest country in ze vorld (well at the time) and you cannot afford cheese?" I had sent him something wrapped in a newspaper that had an ad for pizza that included the words "real cheese." He wanted to know what the alternative was and why there was one. I wasn't sure on either count. (Actually his English is impeccable. Better than mine, though British.)

Tuck that reminds me of a joke about Budwieser that I got from Southern Surf Syndicate operative Agent 044. If anyone is interested, I'll try and post a re-telling of it......ed (Beer snob and then some)

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

Brian
I thought you Californians are all health nuts? You ban trans fat but the 3x3 or 4x4 is still legal?

Ha! Good one. Our Governor is the Terminator.

He will "pump you up"

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

It may be a little on the high side but for any serious meat lover I would recommend Agora in Irvine. http://agoranow.com/

It's about 24 miles south and inland away from the Museum. Total trip time of a half an hour away from Main Beach in HB.

They serve Brazilian style churrascaria meat. A nice place to go, pay your $23 and enjoy as much top-of-the-line, fresh off the skewer and still sizzlin' as much as you can eat beef, lamb, pork and chicken. It's a carnivore's delight. The sirloin is THE best I have ever had.

I've been there a few times and you end up with a pleasant and intoxicating food coma afterwards. I recommend finding a nice place to rest soon thereafter. You may sleep for a few hours..

I'm getting hungry....

Regarding burgers, The In N Out is the bomb. The closest on to the HB Pier is at Beach & Talbert. If you dont feel like a burger at 9 AM, the beach snack stand by the stage at the HB Pier is called Zacks. They will have the BQQ going. Burgers, dogs & chicken. You can watch the show from the patio at Zacks.

The only downside I can think of for In-N-Out is that, if you get animal-style fries, all you want to do afterwards is die.

Their fries are somewhat edible if you order them well-done. Otherwise ... not so much. And I don't think I know anyone who doesn't get the burgers animal-style at this point. Just some advice for those of you unfortunate enough to live outside In-N-Out's sphere of operations.

-Warren

That was excessively violent and completely unnecessary. I loved it.

Goto Page: 1 2 Next