Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
255 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
255 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
175 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
122 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
76 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink SP Back From The Grave July 26 show photos (Portland)

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

Here are some pics & 2 short videos I took of Satan's Pilgrims Portland show @ Dots Cafe! It was an excellent show Rock

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/diceophonic/SP/0c966987.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/diceophonic/SP/026c4992.jpg

And here are the 2 small clips just click on the image to play.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/diceophonic/SP/th_1c68416b.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/diceophonic/SP/th_203174f8.jpg

-Kyle

Beyond The Surf YouTube channel
Beyond The Surf Instagram
The Verbtones @ Instagram
The Verbtones @ Facebook
The Verbtones @ bandcamp

Awesome Kyle! Thanks for posting that!

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

Thanks Kyle! Way to go SP! I like how Ted towers above everyone, ha!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Too funny. Yeah, look at Ted up there like a King observing his minions. And all the happy children dancing to the music of Satan ('s Pilgrims). Thanks for the pix!

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

I completely forgot that these shows were this weekend. We were going to try and come down to Portland since we all had other plans the night of the Seattle show.

How was the Seattle turnout?

Thanks Kyle,

man I wanted to be there so bad.
ugh.
at least I saw them 4 times last year.
Wink

Jeff(bigtikidude)

No problemo gang Very Happy

Here's my last one of SP (short video clip)
Click on the image to play

-Kyle

The Verbtones @ Facebook
The Verbtones @ bandcamp

Ted what's the name of this number and what cd is it from?
and what is being used for the 12 string guitar affect on lead guitar?

-Kyle

The Verbtones @ Facebook
The Verbtones @ bandcamp

OK, I'm not Ted, and I apologize for butting in, but I can maybe identify the song. From what I can pick out I think it's In the Past, which I've heard before on The Best of the Chocolate Watch Band (AVI 1983). (Great set of songs - very much what I think of as the early San Francisco Sound.) The original has lyrics. The title is from the refrain which, beginning with the second verse is "Give me another chance; I'll love you more than in the past."

The non-effects bit in your clip is the bridge with the words "It's up to you to do the things I want you to. Don't question me. It's gotta be this way." I always used to think, "Christ, he hasn't learned a thing, has he?"

I can't really answer the technical effects question, of course, but listening again to the CWB version, I am reminded that my reaction on the signature riff was always that it had to involve either running tape backward or some device that created that quality. I'm not sure it's guitar originally. It might have been flute.

By the way, thanks for posting the pictures and sound clips! Looks like my favorite kind of show for sure.

Tuck
OK, I'm not Ted, and I apologize for butting in, but I can maybe identify the song. From what I can pick out I think it's In the Past, which I've heard before on The Best of the Chocolate Watch Band (AVI 1983). (Great set of songs - very much what I think of as the early San Francisco Sound.) The original has lyrics. The title is from the refrain which, beginning with the second verse is "Give me another chance; I'll love you more than in the past."

The non-effects bit in your clip is the bridge with the words "It's up to you to do the things I want you to. Don't question me. It's gotta be this way." I always used to think, "Christ, he hasn't learned a thing, has he?"

I can't really answer the technical effects question, of course, but listening again to the CWB version, I am reminded that my reaction on the signature riff was always that it had to involve either running tape backward or some device that created that quality. I'm not sure it's guitar originally. It might have been flute.

By the way, thanks for posting the pictures and sound clips! Looks like my favorite kind of show for sure.

Hey Tuck thinks for info I managed to find some info on the band "The Chocolate Watch Band" and I found the disc on Amazon and purchased "The Best of" it's crazy when SP played "In the past" I was mystified
and that's when I pounced on the digi cam and pressed record to get a few seconds sample or as much as my digi camera can record live video
I also managed to find on myspace a music profile by " The Chocolate Watch Band" maybe it's not them but the full original song is up and I have added it to my myspace profile check it out Very Happy
http://www.myspace.com/diceophonic

I think the guitar effect is a guitar effect on the original with a Sitar in the back ground who know's but when SP played it the lead sounded doubled but from where I was standing I couldn't see who was playing what since I had my other 2 little ones with me and the crowd was big I couldn't make it to the front Sad but for sure I would like to find out what SP used for the "doubled guitar effect" my oldest Nick (9) did manage to cruz over to the stage area there and saw a stomp box of some sort that Dave was using for the "doubled effect" ???

-Kyle

The Verbtones @ Facebook
The Verbtones @ bandcamp

diceophonic
it's crazy when SP played "In the past" I was mystified and that's when I pounced on the digi cam and pressed record to get a few seconds sample or as much as my digi camera can record live video

Hey, I've done that, too, when I wanted to remind myself later what something sounded like!

I also managed to find on myspace a music profile by " The Chocolate Watch Band"

I never thought to look for a CWB site! What a great song, too, haunting MCP lyric and all. The band sounds a lot like the Kinks at that time to me.

maybe it's not them

Yeah, I think it's one of those mysterious volunteer sites that exist so that someone who likes a song can use it as their site music. There's a Centurions site like that, I think, and that might explain the odd combined Surfaris site a while back, though that went a bit further than most of these one or two song sites do. I think he did his research on Amazon. Every year I write them and explain, but no results so far. The Internet is full of these strange merged artist sites.

I'm pretty sure you can rely on Ted to tell you what they were doing. He seems to be a historian by inclination. He may have to ask the groundlings first, though, to find out.

This post has been removed by the author.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009 18:49:56

Kyle, lol--I was probably in the crowd right next to you at times and didn't even know it. I can't top your great photos and clips but I hope you don't mind me adding some pics of mine to your thread.

I'm so glad I made it up to see this show. Satan's Pilgrims played an awesome set. I just wanted it to go on and on. The little block party festive atmosphere was fun and it was really cool hanging out with the locals and seeing the Pilgrims in their own "backyard" of Portland.

Tedmaster of all he surveys. Man, you really drive that band with your relentless beat. Great to catch you in actionsuch a great band.

Totally post the pics Rock and anyone else that was there post post post pics!!! Yeah for the intro stuff I was up front and then moved back to the side lol maybe we pumped into each other lol! what were you wearing? I was the dude dressed in black surf trunks and a black T with sun glasses and a beige baseball cap.

-Kyle

The Verbtones @ Facebook
The Verbtones @ bandcamp

zak
The instrumentals on the Chocolate Watch Band records weren't even done by the Chocolate Watch Band - they were played by the producer (Richie Polodor aka Richie Allen, a name that should be very familiar to surf fans) and various session players. Polodor played a Coral (Danelectro) electric sitar in addition to guitar on the Chocolate Watch Band sessions. Expo 2000 is an incredible track!

Slight hijack...

Do you guys know that Pete Curry played drums for the Watchband a couple of times bitd?

Crazy but true!

Jeff Utterback

More of the hijack, or maybe it's the alternate topic.

The Real (I think) band Chocolate Watch Band MySpace site: http://www.myspace.com/chocolatewatchband

Main site: http://www.thechocolatewatchband.com/

A somewhat different view of their history is given here from the one in the All Music Guide to Rock which is basically consistent with the one Zak offers. Also different from the liner notes to the Rhino Best of LP. Everyone remembers it differently, or at least highlights different parts of it in their memories. Which is why they pay lawyers and historians the big bucks. OK, not historians.

This site version, from David Aguilar, the lead vocalist/harp player, highlights their run as a performing band though the first album and a bit further. In the Past is from the part of the second album which is reported to be largely Podolor and others. That was supplemented with some actual CWB material.

To tie this more to the interests of SG101, their first single, issued under a topical name of the Hoggs, was a cover of Davie Allen's Blue's Theme.

Another obvious tie-in, of course, is Richard Podolor, who was the session engineer.

Their producer, Ed Cobb, was the same ex-Four Preps member who managed/produced the first - pre-military service, pre-surf - version of the Rhythm Kings, the one that was the road version of his project the Piltdown Men. His version is the foundation of the Rhino notes.

By the way: the Piltdown Men's Brontosaurus Stomp. I'm not sure I like it that much! I kind of wonder what it sounded like with the Rhythm Kings, though.

And here's Piltdown Rides Again, which is clearly the basis of the Crossfires' Silver Bullet/Theme from the Lone Ranger.

"In The Past" was originally written and recorded by Florida garage band We The People. I wouldn't be surprised if Satan's Pilgrims got inspired to cover it based on that version rather than the Chocolate Watchband one.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

diceophonic
lol! what were you wearing? I was the dude dressed in black surf trunks and a black T with sun glasses and a beige baseball cap.

I wasn't hard to spot---I was the guy _without _the tats and piercings! Laughing
Black Nike cap and beige shirt . . .

Just a few more:

Pilgrim sighting! My "celebrity stalker" pic of Dave earlier in the afternoon.

Satan's Pilgrims rules. That's all I had to say. I'm really jealous of you guys who got to see them. What about the other gig? Anyone catch that one?

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

here is a short Review, by DJ Terrence Gun from Tiki Central. that spun music that night.

Aside from rushing round at the last minute finding an extra power strip for the Pilgrims, the show was a success! Hula Hula not being a live music venue, I was really surprised how smoothly everything went. (When I've sat in and played with Lushy we never had any issues at Hula Hula; but then again, Lushy isn't a surf rock band, and no cover was ever charged -- hence no door people necessary. This time it was two bands, and was plenty damned loud, and there was door and security staff.) We were expecting a larger turn-out, of course, but the crowd that did show up was plenty (150 or so); and a good crowd it was, too. A very positive experience, as well as a learning one, and hopefully one that will influence further shows along similar lines at Hula Hula. And, as I said before, up close and personal: no stage, no barrier, no distance; this is the way I like my live music. Hula Hula's bar area is raised, whereas the area where the bands played are sunken, so there's plenty of opportunity to see everything going on, without the necessity of a stage.

There was a young lady filming the show; and I did see several phone cameras, etc., so I'm sure something resembling images -- moving or otherwise, with sound or without -- will turn up soon.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Goto Page: 1 2 Next