PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
184 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
162 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
130 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
124 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
85 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
18 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
18 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

0%

0%

Donate Now

SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink THE NEW HBKahuna's 2nd Annual Surf Jam

Page 1 of 1

Friday, January 18th, 2008
Huntington Beach - 9pm

HBKahuna put on his second annual surf jam - last year it was in his garage, this year he rented a studio across town for 3 hours. He sent out lots of invitations, and got quite a response!

In no particular order, here is who came:

John Benton, Joe Kurkowski, and Frank Hughes from The Eliminators
Eddie Bertrand of Eddie and the Showmen
Tim Fitzpatrick of The Lively Ones and the Dynotones
Tony, and Mac from OuterWave
Tom and Jay from the Neptunes
Jim Frias from The Nocturnes
Chris, Maui and Markus from the Aquasonics

and of course, HBKahuna was there too.

Here's some photos:

Of course, it goes without saying that HBKahuna deserves all the credit for putting in the effort of organizing this -

What a thrill it was to play with all of these great guys! I've met several of them in past trips to CA, and it was great talking to everyone again. I got to spend a little more time talking to Tim Fitzpatrick, Tom and Jay before the jam started - Same with Tony and Mac. I got to spend quite a bit of time with Eddie Bertrand - both before and after the jam, and I'll post some of that elsewhere.

My impressions of the evening were:

John Benton and I are friends from our last few trips there, and it's always great to see and hear him play - he may be the best rhythm guitar player I know.

Joe Kurkowski is a monster player - much more impressive even than his work on cd - tone like crazy!

Frank Hughes plays a great surf bass - even if he is a smart-ass
Laughing

Watching Tim Fitzpatrick play was awesome - he has his own way of playing - we played Surf Rider, and I mostly just watched him play the drums.

Tony loves to play drums - he had a big grin on his face - sorry no one else knew "The Savage" Tony! At least we tried. maybe next year....

Mac played a great "Exotic"  and some cool rhythm too.

Tom killed everyone with his version of "Jack The Ripper" he claims he didn't turn Joe's amp up, but don't believe him! It sounded awesome! Tom throws himself into every song he plays. It was about the only true jam of the night - it went on for 10 minutes - Tom and Eddie traded guitar licks, and Jim Frias played some ultra cool sax solos. Jim Frias is one of the coolest cats I've ever met - so laid back and mellow.

Eddie Bertrand still plays great! I can tell he had a good time - I had to turn away while I was playing, because I kept losing track of what I was doing if I watched him - I spent most of the night just trying to hold on, and at least look like I knew what I was playing.

One of the most memorable nights of my life! it exceeded my expectations in every way.

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

Chris thanks for the review and pics.
I was bummed I had to miss that night.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Sonichris
Tom killed everyone with his version of "Jack The Ripper" he claims he didn't turn Joe's amp up, but don't believe him!

I swear, I did not touch a knob! oh man... if I only had photographic proof... Embarassed

Let's thank Leo Fender for a design with such headroom!!!!

Really I had no Idea, it was blowing under me, and the bass was right there. I had a great mix, Eddie was pointed right at my side of the room.

Sorry guys!

tom

THe NEpTuNeS

Naw, don't be sorry - it was great! Link Wray tunes have to be loud and borderline out of control sounding - I believe you when you say you didn't touch the amp - I know you didn't, I saw you take the guitar from Joe and start playing right away. you played it with such conviction! You were really hitting the strings - thats where the volume came from. I wish you had played more, and I wish Hap played at all.

I'll try to post more stories as I can get them written down. Tom, Jay, and I stood in the hall with Tim Fitzpatrick, and talked to him. He told us about learning drums in Junior High band, and playing with the Surfmen, and then the Lively Ones until 1964. He put his drums away until 2000, then got them out and started to play again to the old Lively Ones tracks. cool story.

the gear there was fantastic - I think Showmen amps and Reverb tanks must sound better at sea level with the ocean air near - Tone to kill for. the drip coming from John and Joe's amps was incredible - and the dwell was only at 3.2!

I have that same equipment, and mine doesn't sound like that at 5500 ft....

Everything Chris is saying here is so true. It was a night to remember for me as well.
Playing with so many surf music legends was pricless. Just playing with people that are into the music is rare here in Colorado but I get to play with one of the best Surf Guitar players around on a regular basis.
Chris not only can play but he knows everything about Surf music.
A small bit of his guitar genius has rubbed off on me an and as time goes on I can only get better playing with this man. Humble as he may be, (I know he is going to holler at me for writing this), He is one of the best and I am honored to be in the same band as him.
Anyway, Thanks to all who made our trip to So Cal so good and TONS of thanks to HBkahuna for his and his wifes hospitality. Everyone is so friendly! Cannot wait to return in August!

Nice job Tim! You pulled off another magical get together.
Looks like everybody is stoked out to me!
See you in HB.
Billy

Be careful following the masses. Sometimes the "M" is silent...........................

Great pics there. 'I got my picture taken with Tim Fitzpatrick.' Cool

The Squad Car vid is super cool. That siren makes the coolest noise. Makes me want to run for the hills. Feel like HBKuhuna's runnin me down! Rolling Eyes

Thanks to HBK for the great time. Thanks to all the players that showed. I was quite humbled to be in the presence of such first wave star power. Man, these guys started it all in the day when a guy could really cut loose. Surf Music is such an American west coast symbol of freedom. Everybody has to like it at least a little. Being the youngest cat at that session, as well as a bonified 3rd/4th waver, I felt compelled carry the flame down to my generations. I have decided to write more songs with my band, The InSINerators. Props to all the bands represented in that room.

Earlier in the thread from hell Evil , someone mentioned a SG101 jam in OC.
Man that is a great idea. Idea Anyone that wants to comment should hit up the thread that I am about to start for it.

Tom, loved hangin with ya man. I'll be anxiously awaiting some new video. Hope some turned out well. Playing 'Jack the Ripper'
was a smash time Shocked . Props to The Neptunes.

Stay Cool Yo's.........

Markus 'The 15 Cent Bass Player'

The InSINerators

Hey Thanks Markus, the feeling was mutual, sorry to put you on the spot for jack the ripper! you nailed it just fine once you knew what was what!! Stay warm!

THe NEpTuNeS

here's the link to the "Squad Car" video that SurfNeptune posted earlier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdkEc26_VVs

man, I just watched the video - I missed so much of it while we were playing it - I was too in awe to notice that Jim Frias played the sax mouthpiece siren noise while HBKahuna churned the siren. How cool is that?

On a side note, I've been listening to a bunch of Jim Frias' band, The Nocturnes on the "Rare Surf" comp. Really cool stuff, way ahead of the times!

Any more video Tom?

it's stuff like this that makes me yearn to live in S. CALIF full time!!

if only.....

it's in my blood, I know it

as I told Big Tiki Dude, if I close my eyes, at ANY TIME, I can 'see' the Pacific Ocean...I mean that

wow...La Jolla Cove....clear as the day I was last there

amazing

thx 4 the write-up and cool pix

UNSTEADY FREDDIE

http://www.facebook.com/unsteady.freddie

Page 1 of 1