Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
251 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
251 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
171 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink The Penetrators rocked Georgia Tech April 8, 2006 (w/PHOTOS)

Page 1 of 1

Yeah, I realize I’m over a month late with this report, but here goes.

The Penetrators were scheduled for a rare appearance on the Georgia Tech campus in Atlanta on Saturday, April 8, 2006, and naturally the word spread fast among S3 agents in the area. Eddie Katcher of The Surge was the first to start pounding the tribal drum, and soon we had a bunch of us committed to attend. The S3’s finest were gonna play in the middle of a three-band bill, with The Bluejays (a much-loved local country band) opening the event at 8:30 p.m. and The Broken Spokes (a young new country/surf band) closing the show late that night. The bill was irresistible.

The hitch, though, was that Tech’s on-campus music venue, a cozy little room called Under The Couch, has a strict no-alcohol policy. Hey, it’s not like we’re all alkie-hollicks or anything, but it is like this: After sundown on a Saturday, most of the S3 crowd truly enjoys pulling a cork or three. We decided to do our best to work creatively around this restriction.

The fun began for much of the Atlanta crowd when we rallied on the outdoor porch of Melton’s App & Tap for some pre-show libations. Apparently S3 operative Rex Reverb was among those who showed up and left right away because he didn’t see us in the outdoor seating area, which underscores the need for more thorough recon work on the part of some of our operatives.

After getting a nice start on the evening’s buzz (and after stocking my Jetta with a cooler fulla Beck’s), we carpooled down to Georgia Tech under the expert navigational guidance of Greg Germani, who had ridden past the venue and scoped it out for us earlier that week on his S3-model stealth-equipped velocipede. Good thing too, as Under The Couch proved to be concealed deep within a Byzantine tangle of one-way streets that must have been laid out by M.C. Escher after drinking a gallon of cough syrup. (Never mind the joint’s Carrie Nation attitude toward adult beverages. I’d cross this place off the list of potential venues based solely on its maddening inaccessibility.)

We parked on the far end of an athletic field and, after issuing each agent a loaded cylinder of Beck’s, I followed Germani’s lead deep into Yellowjacket territory. About this time Eddie Katcher and Mitch from The Surge showed up, Rev. Rex Reverb made an appearance, and The Penetrators’ fleet of Blackhawk helicopters landed on the athletic field, dispersing Spanky Twangler, Trace Luger, Sticks Stechkin, and all their gear.

First on the bill were The Bluejays, who wasted no time in laying down a sweet country vibe that sounded like the more laidback side of Gene Vincent, fused with the Gram Parsons-era Byrds. Frontman/bassist Jay Murphree sang the lead most of the time while playing bass, ably assisted by second guitarist John McLean as well as a former member of The Cigar Store Indians. Drummer Matt Spaugh (who also plays with John McLean in Sonoramic Commando) rolled out the easy beats; look closely in photo below and you can see him sniffin' John's armpit. The Bluejays have got a CD forthcoming soon, entitled A HUNDRED SONGS, and I’m sure looking forward to it.

Bluejays
[image](http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/2333/mvc005f2zq.jpg)
http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/2333/mvc005f2zq.jpg

During The Bluejays’ set I made a run out to the parking lot, where Eddie Katcher shared with me a bottle of his homemade “Hooch.” Well, that’s what it said on the bottle cap. It was actually his superb homebrewed re-creation of Anchor Liberty Ale, and did he ever nail it! His tasty concoction had all the spiciness and hoppy zing of the real thing, proving this fine gentleman can tweak homebrew beers as expertly as he tweaks vintage Fender guitars. Dang!

Unfortunately the management of Under The Couch got wise to what we were all doing and asked us to pour out our beverages. So naturally we all stepped around the corner and, in full compliance with their request, discretely poured out the contents of our bottles. Into our mouths.

By this point The Penetrators were rigged and ready, ripping into “Shut Up and Dance” in classic form. Strictly from a sartorial aspect, these three-of-the-S3 were the sharpest ensemble of the night. Decked out in matching red tunics with white racing stripes, as well as matching white slacks, they cut a fine collective figure on the darkened stage. But even a blind man would have loved their set, which was a satisfying mix of classic Penetrators’ tunes, some pleasantly familiar covers, and several much more recent numbers including a couple of all-new songs. I’ll include a photo of the set list here for the curious.

Spanky wailed away on that gorgeous sunburst Jaguar all night (the same instrument that his big brother, Rip Thrillby, used in his final years), manfully leading the trio while Sticks kept the surf beat pounding and Trace thundered out the bass lines. The sound was rich, full, and reverberant -- and of course totally instrumental (there wasn’t even one vocal mike on the stage) – with only a couple of minor missteps, due to the combo being under-rehearsed. The notes on their set list are particularly interesting in this regard, offering a reminder after “Last of the V8 Interceptors” that the next song, “Halfway to Vegas,” should be “heavy sounding,” and that “all start” on the following number, the as-yet unnamed “Woggles Riff.” (Spanky explained later that this latter tune had started life sounding like something The Woggles would play, but it has since taken on a new character and now needs a fresh name.)

A big highlight was definitely The Penetrators’ reading of Dick Dale’s “The Wedge” (a song they’d actually recorded quite a while back for that DICKHEADS tribute album), which they morphed into a tribute to another instro legend by ending it with a few bars of Link Wray’s “Rumble.” Nicely done.

Late in the performance, after playing “50 Buck a Midget” (another of my faves), they offered up another unfamiliar number called “Rae’s Song,” which appears on the set list with an admonition that, “Luger starts.” I have to say I really dug all the newer songs, which suggest to me that Spanky seems to be taking the band in a somewhat lighter, more Los Straitjackets-ish direction than they were heading under Rip’s leadership. Significantly, though, they shut down their set with Rip’s own “Southern Surf Syndicate Theme” instead of their once-traditional show-closing romp through The Pyramids’ “Bikini Drag.” Altogether it was a very satisfying and commendable set. Bravo, lads!!

Penetrators
[image](http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/1152/mvc008f8bb.jpg)
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/1152/mvc008f8bb.jpg

[image](http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/2365/mvc013f0la.jpg)
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/2365/mvc013f0la.jpg

[image](http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/7144/mvc011f1fq.jpg)
http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/7144/mvc011f1fq.jpg

Penetrators’ set list
[image](http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/1866/penetratorssetlist040820067oy.jpg)
http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/1866/penetratorssetlist040820067oy.jpg

A lot of the crowd vanished during the set change (and a number of us ducked out for surreptitious brew-slurping in the parking zone), so the late evening audience had thinned considerably by the time that The Broken Spokes rolled out their sturdy twang to cap the evening. These guys are quite impressive, not only because they’ve got such a great old school country vibe, and not only because they can launch into a stunning surf instrumental at the drop of a Stetson, and not even because they make the combination work so well together. No, what REALLY blows my mind is how YOUNG they are.

Just when I’m about ready to give up and assume that nobody under 30 still knows what ’50s and ’60s roots-music actually sounded like, along comes a fresh-faced green outfit like The Broken Spokes to play just the right cover songs, and to stir up memorable originals in precisely the same spirit, and by doing so to remind me that there’s still hope for rock and roll, there’s still hope for roots-country, and that there will always be a place for twangy and reverb-drenched instrumentals. The Spokes’ smoldering surf rendition of “House of the Rising Sun” managed to keep me smiling until the sun actually did rise, just a few hours later. Way to go, boys!

Broken Spokes
[image](http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/4216/mvc020f4bx.jpg)
http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/4216/mvc020f4bx.jpg

Dutifully reported (albeit ridiculously late after the fact),

GREGORY NICOLL, Southern Surf Syndicate Agent # 44

Last edited: May 20, 2006 12:27:36

Thanks for the show report. I really didn't know the Penetrators still played shows (I've only gotten into their music over the last 2 or 3 years... sadly, it was after Rip's passing).

The Disasternauts

cavefishbutchdelux
Thanks for the show report. I really didn't know the Penetrators still played shows (I've only gotten into their music over the last 2 or 3 years... sadly, it was after Rip's passing).

Yeah, not too long after Rip was taken from us, the other guys got together and did a show with Spanky on lead (playing Rip's Fender) and "The Fifth Penetrator" Jet Powers on rhythm (playing Spanky's Rickenbacker). For the big finale, they actually played a recorded of track of Rip's lead over the P.A. while the others accompanied it live, which was quite moving. It inspired Eddie Katcher of The Surge to go home and spontaneously compose "Rippin' - The Legend of Scott Rogers."

Spanky's been doing his best to keep the band playing out, but it's been pretty tough since they're all married, all live in different cities (spread out across different states), and they're all so unbelievably virile that hardly a season goes by without one of them having another baby. Sticks' wife just presented him with a new little girl this very week!

Naturally this has cut deeply into their time for practicing and composing, not to mention presenting a huge obstacle to scheduling gigs. However, they apparently work very efficiently as a trio and Spanky's such a charmer he's managed to get them onto a few very sweet bills, such as last year's Drive-Invasion at the Starlight Six here in Atlanta.

BTW, the former "Fifth Penetrator" Jet Powers recently returned from flying U.S. Air Force Boeings over Iraq and is now playing in El Capitain, a kick-ass surf/spaghetti band that's already booked for this year's Drive-Invasion (where Blue Oyster Cult is the headlining act).

cavefishbutchdelux

Hi Butch,

Yep we're still playing sparingly. As Agent 44 reported, Sticks just became a daddy twice over this week, and Trace is due to do the same this fall. Add my 3 in there over the last few years and that makes 7 big reasons to keep us out of the bars every weekend.

That being said, we do have a lot of new songs we're working out and hope to record at some point in the future. Thanks to Gregory for the show report. For the record, I want to heep praise on Trace who has done all the heavy lifting in the song writting arena while I've been figuring out how to make 1 guitar sound like 2.

Our next show will be a 'surf fest' outside atlanta on July 29th with The Surge, Stratogeezer, The Intoxicators and the Nova Rays. More details to follow but should be a good time by all.

Happy Reverbs!
Spanky

Twangler
Our next show will be a 'surf fest' outside atlanta on July 29th with The Surge, Stratogeezer, The Intoxicators and the Nova Rays. More details to follow but should be a good time by all.

Happy Reverbs!
Spanky

Hey, Spanky, it creeps me out to see "Gremmie" by your name up there, which wrongfully implies you've gone over to The Dark Side and are now playing only Journey, Phil Collins, and Dave Matthews Bland songs! Yikes! We both better make a whole bunch more posts fast, to upgrade our standing here. Very Happy

That 'surf fest' is gonna be held in Clarkston, GA, which is indeed technically outside Atlanta, but only by a very small distance. It's between Atlanta and Stone Mountain, the first exit outside the I-285 perimeter on Hwy 78 ("Stone Mountain Freeway"). Do you have any idea specifically where in Clarkston the fest is to be held? Last time I drove through there, the "city" appeared to consist of little more than a gas station, a video store, a manicure shop, and a strip club called (I am not making this up) Strokers.

Here's a link with the summer's line up and a map.

http://www.fostersound.com/

I know what you mean on the 'gremmie' thing, easily confused with G.R.E.M.M.I.E. I may start posting a lot of one word responses to upgrade my status - "yeah," "gnarly," "Word" "Dude!"

I could seriously challenge the notion that brevity is the soul of wit.

Spanky

Twangler
Here's a link with the summer's line up and a map.

http://www.fostersound.com/

Ahhhh, that's literally "across the tracks" from the main drag of Clarkston, in a nice rural area. Cool that we can simply get on East Ponce (which runs right through downtown Decatur) and motorvate on out to the show.

I'm crossin' my fingers for sunny weather that day! Very Happy

Hey Twangler,
I guess the message about the Surf Fest self destructed before it got to us... The Intoxicators! (other than me now seeing this post) do not know about this show on July 29th...
If you can have someone contact us about it we would appreciate it...

Thanks,
Fez
www.theintoxicators.com

Hi Fez,

I know very little myself. I was going solely from the web site listing. Give Eddie an e mail, he seems to be the ring master:

eddiekatcher@yahoo.com

SPanky

Spanky,
The Intoxicators! have scratched from the Clarkston/Atlanta Surf Fest. I'm supposed to be picking one of my kids up from camp on July 29th. So I can't be there...
The last that I heard from any of the organizers of the surf fest was back in December of last year...
Anyway, this really sucks because we wanted to play this gig...
Oh well, we'll eventually get a show with you guys somewhere...

Thanks,
Fez
www.theintoxicators.com

Damn, I was looking forward to playing with ya'll as well. So many social engagements, so little time...

Spanky

Hey Fez, I actually asked Eddie about it today and he was waiting to hear back from one of the event organizers re how many bands we could cram on the bill before contacting you guys. It's gonna be a pretty long event. I was really hoping you guys could come up.

The Mystery Men?
El Capitan and The Reluctant Sadists
SSS Agent #31

Richard,
Looking at the website for the event the other day The Intoxicators! were clearly listed on the lineup... and noone had contacted us...
That's just crazy...
It is a show that we wanted to do... So all craziness aside...
I checked with the rest of my band to see if it worked with everyone's schedule before contacting anyone with the fest... It didn't work with my schedule...
So I e-mailed Wayne (the promoter) so that he could pull our name from the site...
If we would have known the show about a month earlier I could have booked my kid for a different week at camp and The Intoxicators! would have been there...
Believe me, my wife was less than happy with me when I told her about the show... I got the "Oh no... You're not getting out of this one" speech...

Again, sorry about whatever confusion/disappointment that this has caused... believe me, noone is more disappointed than us on this one...

Cheers!
Fez

Page 1 of 1