PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
204 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
182 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
151 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
144 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
105 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
39 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
39 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
25 days ago

dp: dude
6 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Knobs for Surfybear Metal

Page 1 of 1

So now I've got a Surfybear Metal and it sounds great and is everything I need for spring reverb. However, my one minor quibble is I don't like the knobs that come with it. They are black and small so it's a bit hard to see where they are set. Plus their looks are just uninspiring and don't fit the vibe of the unit at all. So I'm going to change them to something else.

The photo shows some options. Right now I have just one cream cupcake/barrel knob - I think that looks the best, though it sits a bit high on the shaft of the pot. Next to it in the photo is one of the knobs that came with the Surfybear. Then there are two silver top knobs, which look pretty good, and I've got enough to put on there right now. I can always change them later.

Anyway, has anybody else done this with a Surfybear Metal or have any thoughts on which knobs would look best?

I think the silver ones with the index line are the best bet for being visually better and still matching the black/modern style. If you wanted to go a little crazier, these are interesting although still fairly vintagey:

https://www.mojotone.com/Aluminum-Flat-Topped-Chicken-Head-Knob

Just my opinion...the vintage Fender amp style as shown on the Volume pot or chicken-head knobs are easier to see under lower light and different angles...having just a short indicator line or dot on the knob as a quick visual of its position seems to me like it may be harder to read. I am 6ft tall with aging eyes so big pointers or longer indicator lines on potentiometer knobs for things on the floor like stomp boxes, etc. are easier to read.

Lorne
The Surf Shakers: https://www.facebook.com/TheSurfShakers
Vancouver BC Canada

Last edited: May 04, 2024 19:04:55

rfcii wrote:

I think the silver ones with the index line are the best bet for being visually better and still matching the black/modern style. If you wanted to go a little crazier, these are interesting although still fairly vintagey:

https://www.mojotone.com/Aluminum-Flat-Topped-Chicken-Head-Knob

I've thought about chicken head knobs, since those are nice and pointy and easy to see in low light. But I've not seen those silver ones before - those really stand out!

If you're really worried about seeing them in low light I'm pretty sure you can get knobs that glow!

Last edited: May 04, 2024 23:32:18

Cupcakes or bust!

I'll have cream cupcakes on my blue Metal. Thanks for the idea !

I too have the Surfybear Metal (and love it) but also was unimpressed with the knobs. Cream and silver both look better than the originals.

Think I'll follow suit and switch them over too Smile

Looks like I may have started something here. I'm going to go with the cream cupcake knobs - I just ordered a set and will post a pic when I get them and install them.

They simply pull off?

Last edited: May 07, 2024 14:30:49

DrippyReverbTremolo wrote:

They simply pull off?
Yes, the knobs that come with it can be pulled off. It would help if you had a plastic pry bar to take them off. Most of the cupcake knobs I've seen have a set screw, so you will have to tighten them when you install them.

I actually like the way the silver ones look on that particular unit.

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

Page 1 of 1