PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
195 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
173 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
141 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
135 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
96 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
29 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
29 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
15 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

92%

92%

Donate Now

SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink Can you identify a Strat , Jag & Jazz by sound alone?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

I like this topic even if it's been posted before.
Some of use newer members of SG101 can appreciate the experience shared.

I have been a Strat player for a long time owning at least 4, 2 MIM and 2 AM .my latest is a Jeff Beck and has very hot PU but Noisless.
I have 2 Jaguars and a Jazz.
One Jag with 62 AVRI PU and a Squire with a Seymour Duncan hot bridge and a AM Pro neck, both hot.
The Squire Jazzmaster has original PU and I have not measured impedance but it's a middle range.

All of these guitars are capable of vintage surf sound.
I can tell the difference immediately.
But the one common ground is when each guitar has both bridge and neck on ( except the Strat) you can be close on all to the same tonal range and surf vibe.
Each PU on its own however is quite different.
The JB Strat in bridge is very surf twang. But goes quackery on 2 & 4 as most agree.
I am interested in the custom wiring to combine 1&5 like a Jaguar and Jazz.
The Tremolo designs are probably the biggest difference between Strat and Jag/Jazz. Strat sustains and has more range down but its floating bridge also allows up.
Jag/ Jazz is that perfect surf range and has very little sustain.

I will go explore that test comparison to my ears today.
But like others have said that the player more likely can tell than a listener can.

IceratzSurf wrote:

I like this topic even if it's been posted before.
Some of use newer members of SG101 can appreciate the experience shared.

I have been a Strat player for a long time owning at least 4, 2 MIM and 2 AM .my latest is a Jeff Beck and has very hot PU but Noisless.
I have 2 Jaguars and a Jazz.
One Jag with 62 AVRI PU and a Squire with a Seymour Duncan hot bridge and a AM Pro neck, both hot.
The Squire Jazzmaster has original PU and I have not measured impedance but it's a middle range.

All of these guitars are capable of vintage surf sound.
I can tell the difference immediately.
But the one common ground is when each guitar has both bridge and neck on ( except the Strat) you can be close on all to the same tonal range and surf vibe.
Each PU on its own however is quite different.
The JB Strat in bridge is very surf twang. But goes quackery on 2 & 4 as most agree.
I am interested in the custom wiring to combine 1&5 like a Jaguar and Jazz.
The Tremolo designs are probably the biggest difference between Strat and Jag/Jazz. Strat sustains and has more range down but its floating bridge also allows up.
Jag/ Jazz is that perfect surf range and has very little sustain.

I will go explore that test comparison to my ears today.
But like others have said that the player more likely can tell than a listener can.

I’ve had Noiseless Strat pickups, and liked them. It was a 50th Anniversary Am Dlx Strat, that could create good sounds for a wide variety of genres. It did pretty well at Surf. The neck and bridge combo on a Strat is probably the missing piece of the puzzle.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

I'd agree that the bridge/neck pickup combo sounds very similar on Jaguars and Strats (again can't comment on Jazzmasters). And I'd say it's worth doing the wiring mod on a strat to be able to combine the bridge and neck pickups. I've tried the switch rewiring mod as well as the push-pull mod, and I prefer the push-pull mod using the tone pot

edwardsand wrote:

I'd agree that the bridge/neck pickup combo sounds very similar on Jaguars and Strats (again can't comment on Jazzmasters). And I'd say it's worth doing the wiring mod on a strat to be able to combine the bridge and neck pickups. I've tried the switch rewiring mod as well as the push-pull mod, and I prefer the push-pull mod using the tone pot

I wonder if an S-1 switch could be used for that mod. That would strike me as a very easy way to go.

I always thought I could.

well at least a Jazzmaster or a Strat from others.
But I guess not.
Oh well, I always thought the Amps made the biggest difference anyways.
Play on!
Joel

Joelman wrote:

I always thought I could.

well at least a Jazzmaster or a Strat from others.
But I guess not.
Oh well, I always thought the Amps made the biggest difference anyways.
Play on!
Joel

I was humbled. Before listening to a blind test, I would have been adamant that I could recognize a Jazzmaster immediately. I listened, picked out the Jazzmaster, and would have wagered a $20 bill on it, just to find out that I had actually picked out the Strat. So much for my bragging rights. We listen with our ears, our eyes, and our imaginations, and I’m certainly not immune.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2