PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
183 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
162 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
130 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
124 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
85 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
18 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
18 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

0%

0%

Donate Now

SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Astronauts reverb

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3

ELZEB wrote:

Pan locked, knobs almost wide open. That's what Rich Fifield told me (we exchanged a couple emails in the late 90s). When Leo let them use the prototype unit, they didn't realize they had to unlock the pan at first, that's how they discovered that sound.

so ... damping the springs ... like palm muting the strings ... makes sense ... now we can start wondering about the attenuation properties of the foam Fender used in the 60's ... Razz

When you have to shoot ... shoot! Don't talk.
"Los Grainders" www.facebook.com/losgrainders
"Planeta Reverb" www.facebook.com/planetareverb

Emilien03 wrote:

ELZEB wrote:

Pan locked, knobs almost wide open. That's what Rich Fifield told me (we exchanged a couple emails in the late 90s). When Leo let them use the prototype unit, they didn't realize they had to unlock the pan at first, that's how they discovered that sound.

so ... damping the springs ... like palm muting the strings ... makes sense ... now we can start wondering about the attenuation properties of the foam Fender used in the 60's ... Razz

Vintage foam sounds better than reissue foam. Smile

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Hi Gang, inspired by this thread I decided to try an experiment. I just successfully repaired my #1 Gibbs pan (praise the reverb gods) and while it was out I thought I'd see if it was possible to dampen the springs just lightly enough to allow the drip but to cut off the tail of the reverb. I tried a few different materials and landed on little bits of styrofoam. I believe the results are positive and maybe a clue as to how the Astronauts got that percussive 1/8th note attack while not overwhelming the recording with reverb. You be the judge...

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

DannySnyder wrote:

Hi Gang, inspired by this thread I decided to try an experiment. I just successfully repaired my #1 Gibbs pan (praise the reverb gods) and while it was out I thought I'd see if it was possible to dampen the springs just lightly enough to allow the drip but to cut off the tail of the reverb. I tried a few different materials and landed on little bits of styrofoam. I believe the results are positive and maybe a clue as to how the Astronauts got that percussive 1/8th note attack while not overwhelming the recording with reverb. You be the judge...

Danny, you are the Indiana Jones of reverb. That is perfect.

That sounds awesome! How do single notes / tremolo picking and chords sound? I have a '63 Gibbs pan that's broken, but nothing looks amiss. I have to try this with a new SB pan.

Daniel Deathtide

Danny, it's hard to tell from the photo, are you wedging the styrofoam between the springs or just letting it rest on top of them?

DeathTide wrote:

That sounds awesome! How do single notes / tremolo picking and chords sound? I have a '63 Gibbs pan that's broken, but nothing looks amiss. I have to try this with a new SB pan.

Not sure, it didn't occur to me to try. I was just trying to get that astronauts rhythm guitar sound. I can try sometime and see, but I suspect it wouldn't sound very good. However, as a way to shorten the decay on longer decay pans it might prove useful. If you can find a practical way to do it.

Danny Snyder

_

FritzCat wrote:

Danny, it's hard to tell from the photo, are you wedging the styrofoam between the springs or just letting it rest on top of them?

I just gently placed them atop the springs.

Danny Snyder

_

Welp, it's over. I am no longer questing for drip! I wish I had done this for the Missylou demo. I got a tiny piece of light foam, real light foam, and cut it to about 1/2" by 1". I pinched the piece between the springs. I moved it, lying it on top, using multiple pieces, and tweaking the exact location along the springs.

I found that putting it right in the middle resulted in high and awesome drips but really not much else. Only by moving the foam over to one side did the regular reverb sound come back. I found this position to be the best of both worlds.

I have a sample audio file I uploaded that contains this glorious drip! I'll post the link when it gets approved!

Daniel Deathtide

This is fantastic. Now we know, the Astronaut’s secret.

Wow, that sample is fantastic! Looking forward to messing with this a bit tomorrow.

I hear that there are lines of people waiting for Hobby Lobby to open, across the nation. Smile I’m wondering how this would sound on a Deluxe Reverb’s internal pan.

DannySnyder wrote:

In addition, what makes The Astronauts versions superior is not only the production but the drums are incredibly unique for a surf band as well.

You mention one of the most important things there that people don’t consider. Among the recordings we have done in the “Play the Astronauts” record with the Kilaueas please listen to the most underrated song: Batman.

Lorenzo "Surfer Joe" Valdambrini
(www.surfmusic.net)

Last edited: Feb 05, 2024 14:58:35

DannySnyder wrote:

I am glad to see you have a lot of free time these days Danny Big Grin

(www.surfmusic.net)

Last edited: Feb 05, 2024 15:08:24

ELZEB wrote:

The fender reverb unit was already well in production since more than 1 year when the Astronauts went to LA. Why Fender would have given them a prototype?! Makes no sense to me.

(www.surfmusic.net)

I could not find my uploaded sample, but here it is!

https://surfguitar101.com/downloads/details/961/

Daniel Deathtide

Goin’ to Drip,City, gonna have some fun. Smile Nice sounds, Daniel.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2024 23:30:51

I feel like I'm getting really close...

Surfy Bear Classic V3, with tone and dwell all the way up and mix at 3/4s
Blossom Point at 3 o'clock
EHX Oceans 11 in 'plate' mode, just slightly dialed into the mix with repeat knob at about 12 o'clock
EHX Germanium 4 Big Muff (just the overdrive side, slight OD, no fuzz)

And my kinda crappy solid state Fender Ultimate Chorus amp.

I'm trying to work a slight slap echo in there for even more drip but I need to play with the pedal order a bit more.

I like the idea behind the foam you guys are using but the Surfy Bear is my only outboard reverb unit and I don't wanna take it apart to get at the pan...

Last edited: Apr 16, 2024 22:30:04

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3